Friday, August 24, 2007

Another Update of Considerable Size

A Short Hike of Pelican Creek

On Monday Mirka, Ba'ra, and I did the small hike around Pelican Creek. It's one that I've done before, but I did get some really neat pictures of the scenery.



Also when we were leaving the beach area of the hike, there was this gray jay who kept flying right at us. He was so close I could have stuck out my hand and caught him. He was fearless, but I guess he got bored and flew away.


A Day of Geysers and Waterfalls

On Wednesday, I drove over to the western side of the park to do the Mystic Falls trail and also did some sightseeing of the geysers and other waterfalls in the area. It was a very neat day to say the least.

Firehole Falls

White Dome Geyser (which erupted just as I was leaving!)

Sapphire Pool

Mystic Falls (70 ft.) Here I did a little off trail travel and climbed down to the creek downstream from the falls and then climbed up and around some boulders to get right to the base of the falls. Then I had to do some rock climbing to get out of the little canyon I was now in, which was lots of fun. After I had climbed higher I found a little rock washout that led right to the brink of the falls, so I went there. Turns out that at the top of the falls, there is a little hot spring which feeds right into the falls. Probably warms up the water, though I didn't try the water from my perilous perch.





Moving on. The Gibbon Falls. (Big brother to the Little Gibbon Falls from my last post.)


Further on when I was drive back on the road from Norris to Canyon I found a small traffic jam and it turned out to be a cow moose bedded down just off the road. My first moose of the season!!



A Lucky Morning with Magda

On Thursday, my friend Magda from Poland and I went to Canyon because she wanted to do some shopping for her boyfriend back home at the sports shop there. After that, I decided that we had some time before we had to be back for dinner and leave for the Cody Night Rodeo (more on that later), so we took a drive farther north towards Tower Fall to see if we could see any wildlife.

Post Card Worthy?


On the way up we say nothing, but Tower Fall (137 ft.) was very nice.

Then on the way back we encountered a small traffic jam with a ranger and I was thinking bear. Turns out to be a bull moose about 150 yards off the road up a little hill where he was lying down! (2 days, 2 moose)



Later on when we were passing through Hayden Valley, we saw another big group of cars stopped with people out looking through their spotting scopes. A good sign. It turned out to be a mother grizzly and her cub. The sow was beautiful. She looked just like the bears in magazines and the Discovery channel do. She was a fantastic blond color and lit up in the sun so you could see her with you naked eye (about 500 yards off the road). The cub was adorable and was bounding about and following his mother. No pictures as my camera can't do that kind of distance.

Just before we got back home, we saw a little coyote in a field looking for some food.

What a lucky day!

Cody Night Rodeo

Last night, Magda, Justina, Adita (all Polish girls), Ba'ra, and I went to Cody to see the Cody Night Rodeo. On the way out of the park, we saw my third moose in three days! It was a younger cow right along side the road.

The Cody Night Rodeo was a lot of fun and had kids as young as 7 or 8 doing barrel races on horses fit for there size. Some of the girls doing that could make that horse move like lightning! The calf roping was really cool as was the steer wrestling. Unfortunately, no one was able to bull ride for the full 8 seconds last night. Oh well. It was still tons of fun.


29 days....

No comments: